At our Holiday Inn Event that we held last year on our pool terrace, there was a clear favourite food that we shared with our guests. The Buttermilk Pancakes with mascapone cream, fresh summer berries and maple syrup was made by our head chef Nirvik Ghosh and his tribe of young assistants.
The buttermilk pancakes were an instant hit as they were simple to make. We asked our chef for the recipe and thought we would share the recipe for families to make together for breakfast, brunch or an afternoon snack.
Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Ingredients for the Buttermilk Pancakes
1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk (any brand is okay)
20 grams of soft butter
Vegetable oil or non-stick baking spray for the fry pan or griddle
To garnish the buttermilk pancakes
1/2 a cup of fresh or thawed summer berries
Method of how to make the best buttermilk pancakes
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, soft butter and buttermilk until foamy. Add to the the flour mixture and mix until blended. It is okay if there are a few lumps.
- Let the batter rest for about 15 minutes.
- While your batter rests heat your griddle or frying pan to a medium heat. Brush lightly with vegetable oil or spray with a non-stick baking spray.
- Once your batter is rested, drop 3-4 tablespoons of the batter onto the hot surface.
- Flip the buttermilk pancakes over once the bubbles have risen to the surface and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with either your choice of garnish or ours which incudes marscapone cheese, fresh berries and maple syrup.