Christmas is almost upon us and so we’ve compiled a list of festive season must-dos in the city you should tick off before the 25th December rolls around.
1. See the Myer Christmas Windows. Each year an estimated 1.2 million people visit the Myer Christmas Windows which have been an annual tradition since 1956, the year Melbourne hosted the Summer Olympics. This Christmas, the animated windows bring to life children’s storybook Russell’s Christmas Magic and the beautiful handmade sets and characters are on display from the 9th November to the 6th January.
2. Spot the Christmas decorations in the city. Every year in the spirit of Christmas the City of Melbourne decks the CBD with festive decorations. To find them all, download this map and start exploring!
3. Join in at Carols by Candlelight. A Melbourne institution, Carols by Candlelight is held on 24th December at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl and raises funds for Vision Australia. Pack a picnic and join in the city’s biggest singalong to feel the Christmas spirit with family and friends.
4. Visit Christmas Square. See a nativity scene, find Rudolph the Reindeer in the hedge maze and and see Santa himself in the Christmas wonderland in City Square from 1st December through to 3rd January.
5. Watch Christmas classic Polar Express. Head to Argyle Square off Lygon St just north of the city for a special free screening of Polar Express staring Tom Hanks. Suitable for all ages, the screening will take place on 22nd December from 7pm.
Celebrate Christmas in the city with Holiday Inn and stay with us over the festive season! Click here to check out our great holiday rates and start planning your festive season.