Our Chicken Curry is one of the most popular items on our menu for good reason, as it is made with authentic spices and herbs. We have asked our head chef of Sirocco Restaurant Nirvik Ghosh for his recipe, and he has graciously allowed us to share it (it has always been a secret from our team not in the Sirocco restaurant!).
If you make our chicken curry at home, please feel free to share it and tag us on social media at #holidayinnmelbourne.
Chicken Curry Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Curry
2 kg of chicken thigh fillet – we use free range chicken
100 gm of natural yoghurt
30 gm of ginger paste
40 gm of garlic paste
100m of olive oil
300gm of a brown onion peeled and cubed
200gm of Roma tomatoes cubed
2 teaspoons of chilli powder mild
2 teaspoons of coriander powder
2 teaspoons of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
3-4 pods of green cardamom
1/2 stick of cinnamon
1/2 a teaspoon of cumin seeds
Sea salt to taste
1/2 a bunch of fresh coriander leaves to garnish
Pre-Prepare before cooking the Chicken Curry
Clean and cut chicken into medium pieces and marinate with yoghurt, half of the ginger and garlic paste and salt. Leave it on the side for 1 hour.
This step will give the chicken moisture, which makes the perfect chicken curry.
Method of cooking our Chicken Curry
- Heat oil add cinnamon, cardamom and cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add chopped onion and saute until golden brown.
- Add the remaining ginger and garlic paste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Add all the ground spices and sautee for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook until the masala (spices) separate from the oil.
- Add salt and cover for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Adjust the seasoning if required and mix, finish with chopped coriander leaves.
To complete the chicken curry, it can be served with chopati, rotti, rice and pickle.