We have found the best 10 romantic activities in do in Melbourne
When you think of romantic cities, you usually think of Paris or Rome. Well we have great news, if you are looking to plan your next romantic escape in Melbourne we have some ideas. We have researched ideas that are suitable for all budgets.
Treat your loved one with a uniquely Melbourne experience, whether that be for a date night, wedding anniversary, Valentine’s Day or romantic staycation in the city. Let us help make it an date to remember with this list of romantic things to do in Melbourne. Plus if you want to propose in a unique spot in Melbourne, we have found some great places!
Discover our Top 10 Romantic Activities in Melbourne
1. Unique Date Night Melbourne Restaurants and Bars
Vue de Monde– It has been synonymous with Melbourne fine dining for almost 20 years. Their focus is to present an exciting and dynamic experience with the progression of flavours and a sense of curiousity. In 2011 they moved from their location in the Melbourne central business directory to the 55th floor of Melbourne’s iconic Rialto building. Their location provides sweeping views of Melbourne’s cityscape. We recommend that Vue de Monde is the perfect place to celebrate a romantic wedding anniversary in Melbourne.
State of Grace – Prepare your taste buds for a vivid assault at the State of Grace. Take a velvet seat for your lunch time break, dinner feast or late night bite. Take a little bit of a wander to the library and open the secret entrance for a romantic adventure. Down the staircase you will find Fall from Grace and that is where the fun really begins.
Trinket Bar – If you are looking for something a little casual and fun, visit Trinket Bar. It is one of Flinders Lane’s best pizza and cocktail bars. Take a seat and enjoy a quality pizza with the hero being the best seasonal produce. This would be the perfect place to have a first date in Melbourne, as the food is great and the atmosphere is fun.
If you are looking to see Melbourne’s greatest point of view, all you need to do is look up and you will see the Eureka Skydeck. Situated in the heart of Southbank in the iconic Eureka Tower, the skydeck stands at a staggering 297 meters above the street of Melbourne. Since it was built in 2006 it has had stood out in the Melbourne skyline.
We recommend visiting the Eureka Skydeck at dusk for a truly romantic night Melbourne experience. Enjoy a birds eye view of the iconic MCG, Port Phillip Bay and Albert Park Lake while admiring the sun go down and Melbourne being lit up in colour.
Wanting to propose to your loved one in a private setting? Well the Eureka Skydeck team will have you sorted and is one of Melbourne’s most romantic proposal ideas. For $119 enjoy an exclusive edge ride where you can propose privately. Plus you will get complimentary photos of the proposal!
As we are in the know with romantic ideas in Melbourne, contact the Eureka Skydeck team directly as they can help you with an out of this world proposal.
See 360 degree views of Melbourne from above on the Melbourne Star. It is the Southern Hemisphere’s only giant ferris wheel (with individual heating and air conditioning!) and can be found in heart of the Docklands.
Want to make it more special? Take the romance up a notch with a Sparkling Flight package. Sip on a refreshing beverage 120 meters from above, while admiring the Melbourne city streets.
If you are looking to propose (like many have!), The Melbourne Star Observation Wheel can host your wedding proposal! With your own private cabin, it would be the ultimate romantic evening.
4. Romantic Picnic in the Royal Botanical Gardens or Treasury Gardens
All you need to do is take a hamper and blanket and find a spot to enjoy Melbourne’s most beautiful gardens. Our tip – make sure that you get a coffee at one of the little boutique institutions that are scattered around the garden. We are famous for it!
If you want to step the romance up a little, why not take a punting on the lake? When you think romantic boat ride, its not often that you think of a cruise around the royal botanic gardens. Let them take you on a romantic serene cruise around the islands of the picturesque Ornamental Lake in the Royal Botanical Gardens. Settle back in an elegant wooden punt while the professional punter tells you about the gardens history and wild life!
5. Surprise your loved one with a unique place (to steal a kiss!)
Let us help with some unknown romantic Melbourne places that will truly make it memorable!
- Underneath the beautiful stained glass ceiling of the National Gallery of Victoria.
- In the cities oldest gateway to the galaxy lies the Melbourne Observatory.
- The State Library Victoria is one of the most magnificent spaces in Melbourne.
6. Fly high over Melbourne on a romantic hot air balloon flight over the Yarra Valley
Get up early for a magical balloon ride over Melbourne from the sky and watch Melbourne wake up. Fly high above Melbourne’s architectural icons and beautiful parks and lakes and see the Yarra Valley from above. The Yarra Valley is less than an hour from Melbourne and is a great place for a first or second date. The Yarra Valley is recognised as one of the world’s premier wine growing regions with over 80 cellar doors.
Global Ballooning have shared a sunrise with over 90,000 people in 25 balloons over the years, so they are the perfect people to take you on a romantic adventure.
7. Take your better half shopping (and score brownie points!)
There is nothing that a guy or girl loves more than retail therapy in Melbourne, since we are the shopping capital of Australia!
We have rounded up some of the best places to shop in Melbourne and spoil your loved one:
- Paris End of Collins Street – home to Gucci, Dior and Tiffany and Co plus more.
- Bourke Street Mall – a mix of department stores and fast fashion (Zara and H&M).
- Emporium Melbourne – an upmarket shopping center located in the heart of Melbourne’s vibrant city.
- Melbourne Central – It’s a Melbourne shopping center with a twist of history and modern touches.
Although it may not be in the city, if you have the time we recommend a trip to Chadstone – The Fashion Capital. It is Australia’s largest shopping centre and is a world-renowned fashion and entertainment hub. Chadstone features over 550 stores, designer boutiques and over 30 luxury brands.
8. Explore Melbourne’s amazing cultural scene
Melbourne is famous for our amazing cultural scene and is home to some of the best and most cutting edge arts and culture.
- See a musical – did you know that we are home to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and soon to be home of Moulin Rouge! The Musical ?
- Let the Arts Centre Melbourne blow you away with one of their many local and international performances and exhibitions.
- Discover one of most impressive collections of European, Oceanic and American art at the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV).
- Go for a stroll to Federation Square and discover the world-class art galleries and installations.
9. Take a day trip to the beautiful and picturesque Mornington Peninsula
Approximately 90 mins away from the Melbourne City, you will find the beautiful Mornington Peninsula. Enjoy a romantic day trip by the sea, while exploring the regions love affair with wine, fresh produce, seafood and bountiful food.
Our must visit tip is while in the Mornington Peninsula is to visit the Peninsula Hot Springs. The Peninsula Hot Springs are an award winning natural hot-springs and day spa destination. Connect on your romantic day trip with a dip in their natural thermal springs waters or surrender your body to complete relaxation with a signature spa treatement.
10. Book a Melbourne Romantic Escape
If you are visiting Melbourne for a romantic staycation or escape, why not take the romance to the next level with our Melbourne Romantic Escape package?
Our Melbourne Romantic Escape includes:
- A stay in our beautiful Spencer Suite, which has views of the Melbourne city streets
- A bottle of spakling wine upon arrival
- A platter of chocolate and strawberries
- 12:00pm late checkout