Melbourne’s SEALIFE Aquarium is home to thousands of marine animals, blending live and interactive animal experiences with creative artistic displays. The aquarium is an exciting and engaging experience that aims to mesmerise as well as educate, as the experienced and knowledgeable divers and professionals inform guests as to animal tendencies and aquatic habitat protection.
The Oceanirium at SEALIFE holds 2.2 million litres of water and acts as a panoramic Fish Bowl viewing area that displays the stunning natural interactions between sharks, massive stingrays, turtles and other marine animals. The SEALIFE Melbourne Aquarium also highlights the amaze of the Antarctic region, showcasing the majestic King and Gentoo penguins through interactive displays and the ability to view them in a replication of their natural habitat in Penguin Playground.
There are six zones at SEALIFE Melbourne Aquarium: Penguin Playground, Coral Caves, Bay of Rays, Mangroves and Rockpools, Crocodile Lair and Mermaid Garden.
If you would like to get up and close with the animals, guest can experience an encounter with the colony of sub-Antarctic penguins with a Penguin Passport. There is also shark diving for those more adventurous. For those looking to learn about the fishy friends from a distance will enjoy a tour on the glass bottom boat.
Facts about SEALIFE Melbourne Aquarium
- The aquarium first opened in 2000.
- SEALIFE Melbourne is a Southern Ocean and Antarctic aquarium.
- In November 2008 the Aquarium was given an extensive expansion.
- SEALIFE Melbourne Aquarium is spread over 4 levels and follows a one-way self-guided tour which makes it easy to get around.
- The aquarium is most known for it’s main exhibit, the 2.2 million litre Mermaid Garden.
- SEALIFE Melbourne Aquarium conducts extensive research into marine species.
- During the school holidays the aquarium hosts activities for children of all ages.
- It is a 5 minute walk from Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders .